Saturday 18 August 2018

Autumn Leaves Cards- mini quilts with Brusho


In my previous blog- mini sunflower quilt - I got a really cool effect while I was in the middle of the process. I decided to try to recreate that effect with these funky small leaf quilts, that work great on cards!

I started off by drawing outlines of leaves on thin paper and then quilting those shapes onto white cotton backed with batting. As my intention was to use them on cards, I didn't have a backing fabric.

I had free hand quilted through the paper, so I tore that off and then painted my leaves etc with gesso .
 My hope was that the Brusho crystals would react differently on the different surfaces. After the gesso dried, I sprinkled with a couple of colors of Brusho
As you can see, you really don't need a lot of the powder...the magic happens when spritzed with water! 
Zowie! Then I just had fun. It was really nice to have such a HUGE selection of different colors. I was thinking Autumn, imagining the leaves- some still with bits of green, turning different shades of yellow, orange, red, brown- even purple! 
By the way, the push pins are in a hole I've made in the top of my Brusho containers- a tip I had found elsewhere! It makes it really nice for sprinkling lightly.
Here are some close ups of some of the dried pieces:




Anyway I think it's a fun and interesting way to use the Brusho crystals on fabric! Definitely something I will be exploring more in the future.
Don't forget to check out the SPECIALS! currently on offer on the Colourcraft web page- offers are good until August 31!!
See you in September :)
Tamara






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...