Wednesday 26 June 2019

MDF Sun Plaque with Suzi

Good Day All, Today it is my pleasure to share with you my latest project featuring lots of wonderful products from the ColourCraft Range.  I've created my project using ExpandIt and Eco Acrylic Paints.

I've created a Sun Plaque;
Doesn't that texture look amazing, here's how I created it;

First of all I took a MDF Driftwood shaped plaque and drew a face and some hair shapes onto it.  I then added Eco Acrylic Paint in Yellow to the whole plaque followed by Cadmiun Yellow Hue Dark to give an indication of where my shadows where to go, along with some Titanium White for the Eyes.  Then using a spatula I added my first coat of ExpandIt.

Using a syringe I added ExpandIt for the Eyebrows, Nose and Lips before heating it all with my heat gun.

I then added a coat of Yellow Eco Acrylic Paint over the whole plaque.

I then left it overnight, whilst I decided what to do next.

I decided the hair needed some texture so I added some lines of ExpandIt with the syringe to give some definition to the sections of hair.  I also added more ExpandIt to the tip of the Nose for more dimension.  Once I'd heat set the ExpandIt and it had cooled down I started to add more colour using Eco Acrylic Paints in Yellow, Cadmium Yellow Hue Dark and Yellow Ochre.

I then added some shadows and details with Raw Umber. I also added more Yellow Ochre and Yellow in places.
At this point I decided I needed to add some shades of Orange and Vermillion, to add more warmth and improve the transition of colours.

I was much happier with the colour palette now, and added some more layers of paint where I felt it needed it.  

Then it was time to work on the details, using paint pens and Koh-I-Noor Polycolor Pencils I added details into the hair and eyes.

My plaque was almost finished now, I added a little more detail to the eyes with the Koh-I-Noor Polycolor Pencils and a White Gel Pen.


Here's some close ups of the wonderful colours and texture;


As you can see the ExpandIt gives lots of wonderful texture, and by adding a second layer to the nose I really managed to give it some dimension.

I hope you've enjoyed seeing how I created my project.  If you've not got any ExpandIt yet I really recommend you get some, it comes in Natural and Black and you can use it with so many different tools and techniques, I used a palette knife and syringe on this project, but you can also use your fingers, or a brush. It goes through stencils beautifully and works on so many surfaces. It's wonderful stuff, You'll definitely be seeing more projects from me using it.

That's all from me for today, Thank you for taking the time to visit with us.
Bye for now
Suzi
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...