Wednesday 27 March 2019

Sea themed door hanger with Karen


This project was started with a wooden support and a handful of shells. It was actually something I started a while ago: The hanger was stencilled and covered with gesso and the shells were glued on but then I stalled not sure where I wanted to go next but when I unearthed it again I knew exactly what I wanted to do: Use EXpandIT!

Firstly, to give some background colour, I sprayed the piece with Brusho Shimmer Sprays in Turquoise and Copper. I let this dry a little and then applied another coat of copper for more contrast in the lower part of the hanger.

Once these were dry, I stencilled on natural colour EXpandIT through a seaweed stencil. When you heat it, it expands and creates a fabulous organic texture. You can heat EXpandIT when it is still wet or when it is dry and you can colour it before or after heating it.

Being impatient, I heated straight away: Great fun!

I then used a brush to apply Copper Aztec Metallic paint to the EXpandIT and also to highlight the shells.

Now I needed a focal point so I die-cut a seahorse and patted DesignIT (previously Soft Form) paste in Shimmering Turquoise over him.

Once everything was dry, I added the seahorse and a bit of text 'by the sea' on 3D foam and added a dimensional dot to give the seahorse an eye, which always seems to bring them to life.

Being brought up in a big city but living near the sea now, I love beachcombing and collecting shells. I have enjoyed using some on this project and adding more texture with the EXpandIT and DesignIT pastes. Hope you like it.
Thanks for stopping by.
Karen x


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...