today I have for you easy tutorial for mixed media shaped canvas. My canvas is in shape of fish. This canvas made for me my friend on his laser. It should be gold fish but as you will see I decided to colour it with pink-violet combination like other fish not gold :-)
You can use any type of canvas for this project. Just what you have by hand.
1. Cover canvas with gesso, dry it (use heat tool to speed drying process).
2. Take any of your favourite stencil and modelling paste, apply it, dry it. Apply it just at place where you will be later decorate. Do not cover whole canvas.
3. Take different embellishments - I have shells and chipboards and plastic beads - from shop with decorations (these are not really from any craft store). I also use Finnabair art stones (you can use sand or any deco stones). Glue all embellishments with gel medium. Dry it.
Here is detail of glued embellishments. It does not matter if embellishments are coloured.
4. Cover everything with Gesso, this will prepare canvas for colours.
5. Now is time to play with colours - I used Brusho pigments and also Aztec Lustres. Before I applied Aztec Lustres I dryied Brushos which were diluted with water to spread among embellishments. Dry it.
Brusho - Violet, Alizarin Crimson, Cobalt Blue, Lemon
Aztec Lustres - violet, pink
Combination of Brusho and Aztec paints look like really awesome. Do not be shy and use really bold colours.
6. Take archival ink and stamp here and there just to add interest to canvas.
7. Use gesso to edges of canvas and over embellishments. Do not dry it yet. Take some glitters and sprinkle them over whole canvas. Glitters will stick on wet gesso. Now you can dry it.
My final step was to take archival ink and dabber and lightly dabb edges. I also used Mettalique wax - Vintage gold to add more interesting. But these steps are really optional. I also took pink chalk ink to stamp script stamp because I lost my stamping because I used too much of gesso.
And here is my finished canvas. So what do you think? Does gold fish has to be always gold or is pink and violet ok too?
Have a nice day