Saturday 28 March 2020

Distressed Butterflies with Transfoil- Garden Mandala part 1



Hi Everyone!

In all the craziness in the world at the moment- there are some bright spots! One is more time to craft! the other is Colourcraft Ltd. delivers!
One project I've been working on is a minature quilt with the theme of "Garden" for my quilt guild's show in October. I thought it would be fun to combine a bunch of different art quilt and embroidery techniques in a mandala whole cloth quilt.
The first art quilt element I did was linoleum cut and printed snails. You can read my blog about doing those here.
Today I'm going to explain how I made my butterflies though! 
I started with quilting all the basic creatures etc I'm going to have through all three layers of my quilt sandwich. This included doing a bit of appliqué and trapunto on my little linoleum printed snails.

Then I took Pastel Pearl Fabric Paint in pink and pearl and painted each butterfly.


I then added dots of transfer foil using fusible web and drew around them using a pink paint pen.


There is fusible on the dots, I lay over the foil and used the mini iron to activate the glue. Let it cool before removing. 

It just didn't feel like enough to me though... so I added some "mending powder" which is basically fusible in a powder form and added more foil. This gave me a random "distressed" effect on my butterflies which I love! 

Here is a picture of the quilt so far:


Next time I will show you how I make the dragonflies! More foil, Angelina and lots of bling.
Take care of yourself. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...