Wednesday, 1 April 2020

It's A Cat's Life with Suzi

Good Day All, It's the start of a new month so time for a new theme, this month's theme is 'Mixed Media' so for today's post I've created a Mixed Media Canvas using Acrylic Inks, Modelling Paste, Koh-I-Noor Progresso Aquarelle Pencil and some fun stamps from my stash.


You've probably figured out by now that I love using Acrylic Inks, they are so versatile, and rich in pigment.  I decided to try a couple of different techniques with them, mixing them with water to create sprays;



As well as mixing them with modelling paste;


Once I'd finished mixing sprays and pastes it was time to get started on my project; I took an 8 x 10 Canvas and added a few layers of the sprays I'd created.  I also sprayed a piece of white card stock which would use to stamp my focal images and sentiment.


Once the sprays were dry I used a stencil from my stash along with the blue and green pastes I'd created to add some texture to the canvas.


After the pastes had dried a little I added another layer of the sprays. This added more definition to my stenciled texture.


Next using a stencil I'd created with a 2 1/2 inch circle punch I added 3 circles of white gesso.


Using another stencil and Black Acrylic Ink I added some black to my canvas.  I also added more white gesso.


Once the white gesso was dry, using the circle stencil I added some yellow paste to my canvas. 


After the yellow paste had dried a little I added more of the sprays.  I then set about stamping my images and sentiment.  I left my images to dry and them fussy cut them out before adhering them to my canvas.  My images are some of the Cats from Katzelkraft, I used an old alphabet set from Graphic 45 for my sentiment.


My canvas was nearly finished, but I wanted to add a little colour to the cats' eyes as well as ground the cats.  To ground the cats and outline the sentiment I used a Koh-I-Noor Progresso Aquarelle Pencil dipped in Matte Medium; You can draw on your project and then activate the Pencil with water, but if you dip your Pencil into Matte Medium before you draw it activates the Pencils more and gives you a really dark mark, once dry these marks are permanent.


As you can see the Koh-I-Noor Pencil adds wonderful definition to the canvas.  You could use Black Acrylic Ink instead, but I find the Pencil is a lot easier to control.  Here's some close ups of the Cats;




This was a fun project to create, I've had the cat stamps in my stash for ages and this is the first time I've used them, I just love their characters. The colour scheme I chose was more muted than my usual choices, but it's still pretty dramatic with that pop of black, I love the contrast.

I hope you've enjoyed seeing how I've created my project and the different ways I've used the Acrylic Inks and Aquarelle Pencil.

Thanks for visiting with us today
Bye for now
Suzi
xxx

Saturday, 28 March 2020

Distressed Butterflies with Transfoil- Garden Mandala part 1



Hi Everyone!

In all the craziness in the world at the moment- there are some bright spots! One is more time to craft! the other is Colourcraft Ltd. delivers!
One project I've been working on is a minature quilt with the theme of "Garden" for my quilt guild's show in October. I thought it would be fun to combine a bunch of different art quilt and embroidery techniques in a mandala whole cloth quilt.
The first art quilt element I did was linoleum cut and printed snails. You can read my blog about doing those here.
Today I'm going to explain how I made my butterflies though! 
I started with quilting all the basic creatures etc I'm going to have through all three layers of my quilt sandwich. This included doing a bit of appliqué and trapunto on my little linoleum printed snails.

Then I took Pastel Pearl Fabric Paint in pink and pearl and painted each butterfly.


I then added dots of transfer foil using fusible web and drew around them using a pink paint pen.


There is fusible on the dots, I lay over the foil and used the mini iron to activate the glue. Let it cool before removing. 

It just didn't feel like enough to me though... so I added some "mending powder" which is basically fusible in a powder form and added more foil. This gave me a random "distressed" effect on my butterflies which I love! 

Here is a picture of the quilt so far:


Next time I will show you how I make the dragonflies! More foil, Angelina and lots of bling.
Take care of yourself. 




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...