Friday 12 October 2018

Mug Rug with Fabric Transfer and Brushos

Leaves are turning, there is a chill in the air, what can be better than a nice warm beverage and a sweet treat?
Today I'm going to show you how to make a cute little mug rug using  image transfer as well as Brushos with fabric medium,  all on fabric which I had dyed with shibori techniques earlier this year!

First I started with some fabric which I had dyed earlier- if you want to know how, just check out this blog entry : Shibori Dying techniques.

I found a copywrite free image of a maple leaf and printed it out on my laser printer. Your image will be the REVERSE of your picture, so bear that in mind if you use text.
I cut out my leaf around the outline, covered it with a decent layer of image transfer medium, and put it face down onto my fabric.
I left this to try overnight. The next day I sprayed the back of the leaf with water and gently scraped away the paper with my fingernail. Basically you want to scrape away the paper but NOT the image!Gently! Spray more water if it starts to dry out.
Let your image dry. It should look something like this…
If you like this look- you can leave it! I would paint over the image with fabric medium, let it dry and sew up into your mug rug! 
I wanted to add some of the beautiful Autumn colors that I'm seeing! So I painted my leaf with fabric medium and sprinkled a few shades of Brushos on it. 
I sprayed with water to activate the Brushos and get beautiful colors and blending!


When my leaf was dry, I coated it with another layer of fabric medium. I then cut out my leaf and appliqued it onto another piece of hand dyed fabric, added batting and backing and quilted it!


I'm quite pleased with how it turned out! 
Have fun and see you next time!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...