Friday 15 September 2017

Seahorse using Aquawax, Brusho acrylic mist spray and Tyvek paper for 3D embellishments by Rebecca Yoxall

Hey Guys,
How you doing?

I'd like to share a little mixed media painting I have created using some fantastic Colourcraft products. Brusho acrylic sprays and shimmer mists, aquawax, fabric paint and I had great fun creating a 3 dimensional fin using Tyvek paper. It's the first time I have used Tyvek paper and I'm excited to experiment with it.



I began by painting a seahorse with aquawax on watercolour paper to create a resist shape. The wax coats the paper surface and will resist any colours/paint/water that are applied on top.  I used a fair amount and spread it around in a swirly pattern to create lots of movement and added a few blobs randomly that will become bubbles in the background. Allow to dry thoroughly.


Once dry I chose sea green and violet Brusho Acrylic mist spray and Brusho Acrylic shimmer spray in turquoise and silver and gently sprayed the whole paper. Tip the paper around to get an even spread and a little spray of water will diffuse the colours together. You can see how beautifully the aquawax works in repelling the colour.


When I was happy with the shades, I dabbed any excess away from the seahorse with kitchen roll to leave a clear clean shape. 


I then tinted the seahorse with copper fabric paint and let dry. The fabric paint sits more strongly over the top of the mist and shimmer sprays so I only needed a thin coasting smoothed with a soft brush.


I really enjoy working with pens, drawing details and enhancing shapes so I decided to get decorative with a black permanent pen. I drew in the eye and outlined the whole shape of the seahorse as well as some of the bubbles.


The next stage involves cutting a piece of  Tyvek paper double the size of the fin and cut small snips in the edge to create frills.  I sprayed the Tyvek with the same colours from the background then applied heat to shrink and crinkle the paper. You can use a heat gun or a hot hairdryer will do. I then moulded it to shape.



Using the fabric paint in gold copper and pink I painted further blends onto the fin to get the effect I wanted. The fabric paints are so versatile and have a great finish on the Tyvek paper. 


Here are front and back views of the fin shape so that you can see how the Tyvek paper crinkles. 


I glued this into place and painted more of the fabric colours in small strokes around the join and onto the seahorse body to unify everything together.


I absolutely love this 3D element to my work and I think this design would look great on fabric too with stitched layers and beads to further progress the theme.





I hope you have enjoyed this as much as I did creating it. Let us know what you think by leaving a comment.





1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...