Wednesday 29 August 2018

Powder to Stamp Techniques by Karen

One of my favourite stamping techniques with Brusho Crystal Colours is applying the powder directly to the stamp, picking up the colour with my finger and rubbing it on the stamp before misting with water and then stamping the colours.  I love the watercolour effect, the ability to use one or several colours together and the random effect: You never know quite what you'll get! These techniques can be used as a background or to create lovely embellishments and focal points. Whether the result is a crisp detailed image, a more watery one with less detail or a second generation ghost print, I always love the effect.


EDIT: An unforeseen trip away caused difficulty uploading my quick (3 mins) video but it is now available. I hope you find it useful as, like most techniques,  it is easier to demonstrate than explain!


Some tips:
  • I've used watercolor paper but it doesn't need to be very heavy weight as there is no water being applied to the paper, only to the stamp. Avoid paper with lined texture as the lines will show.
  • Be very careful protect your work surfaces and floor from any stray powder that might fall when stamping and misting.
  • The powders can stain transparent stamps: I find it best to use rubber stamps and give them a good wash under running water afterwards. Be careful not to contaminate your ink pads with colour that might otherwise stay on your stamps! 
For now, the cards I've created could be used as notecards or, with text or embellishments added, could be used for a range of events. I'll keep them in my stash for when I need a quick card knowing these are available.


 I added a few brush strokes to this panel.

One these panels I stamped and repeated the stamp slightly lower to the right then misted the stamp again and stamped again on the second panel, again repeating the stamp slightly lower to the right: Four impressions from one lot of powder.
All stamps used in these examples are from PaperArtsy.

Thanks very much for joining us today. Is this a technique that you've tried already. As always, I'd love to see your creations: Please leave a comment with where we can see your work.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...